Basic check your heart list:
___Heart and vascular exam by health care provider
___Blood pressure*, pulse, weight, height
For further evaluation, especially if symptoms are present, and/ or a strong family history of heart and vascular disease see a cardiologist for more testing.
Tests may include:
___Doppler echocardiogram (checks heart valves, size, etc.)
___Stress test - nuclear, doppler or exercise (heart function)
___Heart MRI scan (artery disease)
___Interventional studies like cardiac catherization, angiogram (checks artery blockage, valves)
Help your heart and overall health with these tips:
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Eat healthy small portions.
- Exercise regularly - every little bit counts! Just do it regularly.
- Keep blood pressure* under control.
- Keep stress level low.
- Get adequate sleep.
- Take an aspirin a day if in a high risk group. Check with your health care provider.
*Add home blood pressure checks to your list. It will help you and your heart! http://mypatienthandbook.blogspot.com/2009/03/high-blood-pressure-home-checks_21.html